Google

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Pg.2 Compressors cont'd...

It's really a good Idea to purchase a compressor with a tank. There are different sizes. Some have a 1 gallon tank, might as well not have one, and as much as 80 gals. The Horse Power is somewhat important, But not mandatory. A 1HP compressor can build up as much pressure as a 5 HP one. So don't let that be a deterrent to your purchase. If your rich and can afford it, I suggest you get a Silent Pancake compressor. They are Ideal, and at $1800.00 or more they better be.. I wouldn't advise buying a compressor through Mail order. They weigh a ton and shipping will ultimately break you. You don't have to buy an airbrush compressor from an Airbrush store or Art store. If you do, your going to pay the price. I bought 3 compressors in 29 years from Sears. They aren't listed as "Airbrush" compressors but as Gardening, Home Construction equipment or Tools. They're used for spraying insecticides, building decks with a Nail driver, or filling your car tires when they're low. They also come with some nifty attachments. But Air is Air. Your Airbrush doesn't know your using the latest Gardening tool to paint that cool mural or portrait. Take a look at these two compressors I have purchased. Old and New...


The OLD ONE:


I 've had this Old Coleman for about 10 years. I paid $300 for it from Sears. It came with a 10ft. industrial rubber hose, regulator, a tire air attachment, a Lug nut power wrench, and a Spray gun big enough that could paint a bike, car, or motorcycle. It was a 4HP motor, and an 11 Gal. tank. Not bad for three bills. Needless to say it paid for itself over and over.If you'll notice the Regulator. It has two meters on it. One measures how much air pressure is in the tank, and the one on the left lets you regulate how much pressure is released through your Airbrush. When you buy a Compressor, make sure it comes with a Regulator. Sometimes they don't.

New One:



This is my New One I purchased , also at Sears for $175.00. Its a 1HP motor with a 5Gal. tank. It has a Double Hose hook up, for us serious Airbrush Artist, we can attach Two Airbrushes, for more productive use, and something I really Fancy in my Old age. It comes with its own Dollie for easy transporting.. It came with accessories also, but not as good as the Old one.

Most normal airbrushing is done around 20-25PSI. That's Pounds Per Square Inch. At this rate of consumption by your airbrush, a 1 ga. tank will empty in about 10 mins.. when it reaches a Factory set rate, the Motor kicks in and the tank begins to fill again. That's why its important to have a 5 gal, or more Tank. My 11 gal. Tank would last about 25 mins. before starting up again. I can't tell you how many times that motor starting up would make me jump. I just never got used to it surprising me. The main Idea is to keep the motor at rest as long as possible. Always make sure to keep it oiled, and drained after each use. Under the tank is a Plug or valve that you need to open after you have shut it off and allowed to cool. Condensation forms in the tank and the excess water will rust the inside of the Tank eventually causing ruptures or pinholes. These kind of leaks can make your Motor run harder and longer because it can't reach its set pressure.

So far we've covered the Airbrush and compressors, Brands, models,and prices. Are you ready to paint?...No, your not...The airbrush needs maintenance, and an understanding of it's parts. Because it is a delicate apparatus,and spraying paint out of it, chances are it will get clogged up and dirty at some point. If its clogged and paint won't come out of it, What will you do?. Like a good soldier who keeps his rifle clean and is able to take it apart and put it back together blindfolded, you will be able to do the same. I really CAN take my airbrush apart with my eyes closed. I've done it so many times. I know my "Rifle" will not fail me in battle, because I maintain it's cleanliness. That's what this next page is about. "Examining Your Airbrush Parts".Next page Please.

Here are some of my Airbrush paintings. I hope you enjoy them...captphrank



These are My Graphic Murals.Some were Airbrushed, and others were Painted with conventional Latex house paints and 1/4 inch masking tape was used to create their Linear effect.These were Painted in Electronics assembly rooms and Some were painted in Hospitals.I hope you enjoy these as well.

No comments: